Cavalier Black II
Size: 5 x 54
Vitola: Robusto Gordo
Wrapper: Mexican San Andres
Factory: San Judas Tadeo (Honduras)
Cigars smoked for review: 1
Cigars for review provided by: Cavalier Geneva
- Appearance: The San Andres wrapper is dark, thick, and rough looking, while the gold overlay is very smooth and shiny.
- Aroma: The wrapper is pungent and a bit metallic. The foot is milder with some wood and sweet tobacco.
- Cold Draw: Smooth draw, with wood and natural tobacco notes.
- First Third: Strong mushroom flavors up front, with some cedar and tobacco notes on the finish. Straight burn, solid light grey ash, medium body and strength.
- Second Third: The mushroom flavor is still at the forefront here with some added notes of cocoa. The finish is semi dry with lots of wood notes. Straight burn, firm ash, but the strength and body ramp up to medium-full.
- Final Third: Mushroom for days with this cigar. I’ve either come around on the mushroom flavor or this profile is just better, either way, it’s tasty. Meaty, full, and filling.
- Perfect burn & solid ash
- Defined, clean flavors
- Body: Medium-Full
- Strength: Medium
This is a very “filling” cigar. The mushroom note has a meatiness to it. It reminds me of using a portobello mushroom cap as a meat substitute. This Black Series II is a great cigar, with a very defined, clean profile, and great construction. It isn’t necessarily a strong cigar, but it is very filling, so I wouldn’t have it on an empty stomach. And the price is very nice for the quality, profile, and size.
Rating: 89 5-Pack
My rating scale:
- 100 - 95: Box Purchase
- 94 - 90: Box Split
- 89 - 86: 5-Pack
- 85 - 80: A Couple
- 79 - 75: Humidor Filler, Yard Gars, & Mooch Smokes
- 74 & Below: Not Worth My Humidor Space