Maya Selva Cigars - website

Launched in France in 1995, this brand currently consists of three brands.  Named after the founder. Distributed primarily outside the U.S. until the last 2+ years when Gabriel Alvarez acted as U.S. Director of Sales.  Gabriel resigned from Maya Selva Cigars in September of 2016.

Their brands -

• Flor de Selva - made in Honduras, Connecticut and Maduro wrappers

• Cumpay - Nicaraguan puro, launched in 1999

• Villa Zamorano - made in Honduras, brand created in 2002.  Includes a new ‘Reserva’ line introduced in Europe in 2016 and scheduled to appear in the United States in 2018.

Here is the interview with Gabriel at  the 2016 IPCPR.

The most recent Cigar Chat featuring Maya Selva Cigars

Give them a try and post up your thoughts as a reply to this message.

Views: 96

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just updated the information for this brand.  Smoke 'em!

Anyone feel like doing a little trading? No Maya Selva in my humidor and none at my brick and mortars.
I'd love to but I'm currently smoking the only one I have. Sorry, Sam.
No worries, Doug. Thanks. I'll scare one up.

Sorry Sam, but I only have two Flor de Selva sticks, one natural and one maduro.  They were in the Cig Fed COTM packs last year.

I only had one of these on hand, but it was great!  I spent about an hour and half smoking it, and really didn't even nub it due to needing to go back inside.  Quality all around and a definite rebuy for me.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it.  That's a long ash and a straight looking burn.

I actually got almost another inch before it fell, which was amazing to hold on while removing the band.  I was impressed!

Maya Selva Villa Zamorano No. 15 

Wrapper: Honduran
Binder: Brazilian Mata Fina
Filler: Nicaraguan Jamastran Viso - Trojes Ligero
Size: 5.5 x 54 Belicoso

I paired this cigar with some black unsweetened coffee

First third: This thing starts of really creamy with some sweet tobacco notes and a very buttery texture. As I got into the cigar I started to get some earthy coffee flavors along with some baking spices and freshly baked break qualities. 

Middle third: some spice enters into the mix and the creamy quality backs off. The earthy coffee flavor dominated this part of the cigar with some of that tobacco sweetness still in the mix. The smoke remained very thick and had a savory quality.

Final third: Continuance of the middle third with some cocoa flavors popping up every now and then. I also got more of that smokey-savory quality that kinda reminded of BBQ a little.

This cigar had some great moments that reminded me of sweetened coffee with cream and eating a buttery croissant roll. I highly recommend pairing with a coffee as your morning smoke. It's not a cigar I would smoke all the time but it definitely hit the spot for a morning coffee and cigar session. Construction and burn were great, never had any issues, and the belicoso vitola made this really nice to smoke.

This is a very reasonably priced cigar and I would give it a solid five pack buy on the CigFed rating system.

Thanks for the review, Jason.  It sounds like you enjoyed it.  I had that blend in the Robusto a few months ago and thought it was pretty good.  Like you stated, the price is very reasonable.

Cigar News: Maya Selva Cigars’ Flor de Selva Colección Aniversario ...

"Last year Maya Selva Cigars introduced a new line into the European market known as the Flor de Selva Coleccion Aniversario Nº20. Now that cigar is coming stateside. According to Maya Selva, the cigar will be launched coinciding with this year’s IPCPR Trade Show."

Read more at: https://cigar-coop.com/2017/05/cigar-news-maya-selva-cigars-flor-de...

Flor de Selva Maduro Robusto

While the construction on this was very good, I can't say the flavor did much for me.  That may have been my fault for pairing with a gin & tonic, but I've done that successfully with many cigars in the past.  It did get better when I switched to Glenmorangie Lasanta.  

I would try this one again, starting with water and moving to either Scotch whisky or coffee.  I think either would have produced a better result.

RSS

© 2017   Created by Cigar Federation.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service