Its that time of year again and we've already seen a few Top lists come out.  Got me thinking - if you made a list for Top Cigars of 2014, what would be on it?

We're doing things slightly different this year, and we want your help.  Beginning later today, we will begin announcing the Top 10 Cigars on Cigar Federation's Top New Releases of 2014 (#10 will be posted today, and #1 will be announced on December 19th).  I'll track the list here, but we also want to put together a FedHead Group List.  If you'd like to participate, please respond to this post and tell us your Top 10 Cigars Released in 2014. 

Please note that the only requirement is that your list include only cigars released this year! If you only have 1 2014 release that makes the list, or you have 20, that's fine - we want you to join the discussion so share with us.  At the end, I will tally up all the votes, and we'll add to the discussion!

Here is what has currently been announced from the Cigar Federation Top New Releases of 2014:

#10 Warped Flor Del Valle

#9 Nomad C-276

#8 1502 Emerald Lancero

#7 Arandoza Red

#6 Nomad Connecticut Fuerte

#5 D'Crossier L'Forte

#4 Herrera Esteli Norteno

#3 Crux Passport

#2 Ortega Serie D Black

#1 Crowned Heads Jericho Hill

To see last year's list, click here.

Views: 1158

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I seem to remember Huber saying at one point a year or two ago that he didn't believe in Limited Releases, and that Crowned Heads would not release a lot of Limited Editions.  Odd seeing so many now - I wonder why the change of heart.

I will say, while I'm not sure that any CH blend will make my year end list, I am enjoying the stuff they've got coming out of My Father a lot more than their original stuff.

LE are the best selling cigars....most cigars I buy are either limited edition, limited run, or small batch....there aren't too many regular production sticks that I buy all too often, unless its a go to smoke.

Yeah, in some of Coop's recent reviews of CH cigars he has referred to this as a shift in philosophy. I still like the Four Kicks no. 5 and some of the Headley Grange vitolas, but the more recent stuff out of My Father is really hitting my palate (esp. Jericho Hill, TW, and the Double W). 

It was more than that.  He (Huber) completely bashed the entire Limited Edition concept.  Here are his words from this post:

"Don’t play the “Limited Edition” song over and over and over….and over again. We all pull from the same pool of tobaccos. We all know everyone in Esteli and Danli. There are only ‘so many‘ blends that can be produced. There are only ‘so many‘ flavors our palates can disseminate. Sweet, sour, salt, bitter, and savory (unami)–that’s IT."

Certainly a company is allowed to change their philosophy (and I respect that), but I would love Mr Huber to explain to the cigar community what's changed from what he wrote above - and why are his releases any different (if at all)....

Coop

Thanks for tracking that down, Coop - that's why you are the best. I'm going to try to contact Huber and see if he can give us some insight.

I'm guessing its a business decision, and, as Charlie says above, its a smart one, but it is an obvious change in philosophy.

Very smart change ;-)

I wonder how he would respond. I asked him in an email exchange a particular question about the Tennessee waltz. He was adamant that it was a regular production cigar, just limited regionally. I've also seen that the AV Double W is regular production, but limited quantity and a store exclusive. So I wonder if the more important question is what he considers a limited edition.

Coop -- how would you define limited edition and what CH fit that definition, in your opinion. Curious...

Stefan... this pretty much was a directed at me when Huber wrote that - and I can understand it.  His definition is different than mine, but I also think he is wrong with his definition.

I wrote an article explaining Limited Editions here...
http://www.cigar-coop.com/2014/10/feature-story-how-limited-is-that...

The bottom line is this.  There are many variables that go into determining if something is limited or not.  Some are production drivers, some are distribution drivers, some are time factors.  Tennessee Waltz is TOTALLY LIMITED because it was being constrained by geography.

Bottom line - Regular Production implies that a retailer is an authorized Crowned Heads retailer, they can pick up the phone and call Crowned Heads and get the product.  My local shop in North Carolina cannot get Tennessee Waltz because IT IS LIMITED to the State of Tennessee.

Coop

Thanks for the reply, Coop. That piece on limited edition stuff is helpful
Their core line stuff is pretty outstanding as well.

Agreed, with the exception of the JD Howard Reserve. That cigar did not hit my palate. With some rest it was ok, but just didn't do it for me. 

I have a habit of not smoking new releases until they are not new. I actually believe I haven't smoked anything that was released this year, except the Laranga Reserva.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Events

© 2019   Created by Cigar Federation.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service